Suggest a Name for our 3 Baby Boy Otter
Hemker Park & Zoo celebrated the birth of 3 boy Asian Small-Clawed Otters on December 2, 2019. Everyone is doing great and we are looking for name suggestions for the boys. Submit your choices below through Sunday, February 16th, 2020. Asian small-clawed otters are the smallest of all 13 otter species and are native to Asia. Well adapted to life in the water, these social, intelligent animals spend a majority of their time on land.
- Asian small-clawed otters are the smallest of the 13 otter species.
- Their dense fur has up to 450,000 hairs per square inch. That's a lot of hair!
- Otters are very playful – they are often seen sliding down muddy banks.
- Otters are the only truly amphibious members of the weasel family.
- Each otter’s scent is as individual as a fingerprint.
- Otter species live on every continent except Australia and Antarctica.
Conservation Status:Asian small-clawed otters are not listed as endangered yet but they are threatened by habitat destruction and conversion for agriculture, draining of wetlands, hunting for their luxurious fur and pollution from pesticides and heavy metals. Even though they are protected by CITES, their numbers are declining. They are considered an indicator species providing a warning of threats to other species that live in the same habitats. This is a major conservation win having the birth of 3 otters here at Hemker Park & Zoo!
- No purchase is necessary to submit a name suggestion.
- All proceeds from the naming contest will support the zoo’s mission and care, diet, enrichment and upkeep of our otter family
- Name suggestion closes on Sunday, February 16th, 2020 and the BIG NAME REVEAL will be on Monday February 17th, 2020. Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter.
- Hemker Park & Zoo is not obligated to use any names submitted.
$10.00 – $1,000.00